To make sure you have an amazing experience make sure that all outstanding actions are completed before you arrive in Cape Town.
Once riders have made all of their arrangements for the race they are free to focus on the training and lead up to this phenomenal experience. It is vital that the riders are prepared early to avoid disappointments and difficulties.
Properly preparing for your arrival will ensure that you make the most of your experience of not only the race but also of all that Cape Town and the Western Cape has to offer you.
What to pack
At registration in Cape Town riders will receive a rider bag with their personal race number on it. This bag is the only bag that we transport between stage locations and all of a rider’s personal belongings required during the race must fit into this bag (including sleeping bag and sheets).
We recommend that riders don't bring any valuables along to the Absa Cape Epic. We take no responsibility for valuables lost or damaged during the course of the event.
- Mobile telephone (South Africa uses dual band GSM 900/1800 - this is the same as in Europe. We do not specifically provide an area in the race village for you to charge/store your phone.)
- Amped - Portable Charger. The Amped portable device will recharge all USB chargeable devices, as and when needed. No need to hand in any mobile equipment. Amped Portable Charger and Amped Power House is the Official Charger and Recharge Service to the Absa Cape Epic. Invest in an Absa Cape Epic Limited Edition Amped charger at www.amped.co.za.
Riders are advised to just bring the correct device specific charge cables, e.g. iPhone 5/5s lighting cable, Garmin mini USB cable.
What to bring for the race village:
- Form of photo identification (ID/passport) - for race registration in Cape Town
- Credit card for emergency expenses
- Sleeping bag and sheet liner
- 2 x (combination) locks (1 for Absa Cape Epic bag and 1 for tent)
- Cable ties (these are always useful)
- Bio-degradable washing detergent
- Personal toiletries (including high-factor sun cream, after-sun lotion and lip balm)
- Bathing costume
- Casual clothes
- Mosquito repellent
- Anti-histamine (if you are allergic to bee-stings)
- Ear plugs
- Laundry Bag/plastic packets
Travel to Cape Town
When planning the trip to Cape Town for the Absa Cape Epic, book a rental car and point-to-point transfer directly through Avis!
As a special service to riders, rental cars can be conveniently dropped off at either the start of the Prologue or at the start of Stage 1. There will also be a pick up and drop-off location at the Grand Finale venue at the end of Stage 7.
For Avis Car Rental, please go to the dedicated Absa Cape Epic - Avis booking page to book at specially discounted rates.
Please follow the specific instructions on the booking page to ensure you collect or drop off your car at the correct location.